Benefits of Membership (Shows, Workshops, Venues for Sales, Outings, Paint-Ins)
- Members benefit from networking with other members who share their experience, insights, and group activities.
- Members who attend at least 30% of the monthly meetings may exhibit in RLAA sponsored shows and exhibits at a modest cost.
- Local venues are available for members to display a limited number of works on a rotating basis.
- Weekly Paint-Ins provide encouragement and socialization for participants in an informal, undirected atmosphere.
- Seasonal, out-of-doors, group-painting gatherings (Paint-Outs) are hosted by volunteer members, usually at their place of residence; generally, from 10 am to 4 pm. Participants select their own subject, medium, and provide their own lunch.
- Workshops conducted by visiting artist-instructors have limited registration with a defined objective, medium, suggested skill level and a participation fee.
- Gallery visits, tours, and group painting trips, at a modest fee, may be organized throughout the year.
- Members have access to a current library of books, videos and publications that may be borrowed for a limited period.
Criteria for Membership
- Any artist, novice to professional, interested in developing his/her painting abilities is welcome.
- The Association is comprised of members residing in the Rideau Lakes region and beyond, from Ottawa to Kingston, etc..
- Members of the RLAA are expected to volunteer time and effort on one or more committees.
- They may become actively involved in critiques, workshops, seminars, shows, exhibitions, in-house and out-of-doors group painting gatherings, access to a current library, gallery visits and other artistic development activities.
How to Join
- Applicants for membership should print the form available at the RLAA web site provided and bring it to one of the RLAA monthly meetings along with a cheque or cash to cover the annual membership fee. Applicants should present themselves to the Chairperson of the Membership Committee and then attend the meeting as a guest. They may then decide to join the RLAA after the meeting.
- Advance notification of attendance would be appreciated; the Chairperson of the Membership Committee may be contacted by E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Membership Fees are collected on an annual basis for the year September to September. Members joining RLAA after July 1st will not pay for the remainder of that year.
- The current Annual Membership Fee is $40.00. Members are expected to attend at least 30% of the meetings and to participate in developmental programs.
- Members are also encouraged to be actively involved in a committee of their choice.
- Meetings are held on the second Friday of the month except for the months of February and July when there are no scheduled meetings.
- Meetings are moved up by a week if a long weekend falls on the 2nd weekend of the month. Meetings are normally held in a relaxed, congenial atmosphere at the North Crosby Hall off Old Perth Road in Westport, Ontario starting at 1:30 pm. Please come earlier, about 1 p.m., to socialize before the business meeting.
- A typical meeting consists of a business portion, followed by a break for refreshments, and then a planned activity. The activity varies from meeting to meeting but may consist of guest presentations, a short seminar or a critique of members’ works. Overall, the duration of a meeting may be up to 3 hours depending on the business at hand and the planned activity.